Monday, November 8, 2010

Weekend Movie Recap

This weekend was jam packed with a bit of everything. First on the agenda, got MrGrizz a suit! We have T&E's wedding coming up next weekend and someone has nothing to wear. Done! We also had an early Thanksgiving dinner with friends hosted by M&M. Delicious! Interspersed throughout, we watched (and relaxed to) some new movies/shows. Here goes...

The Walking Dead
TV show on AMC
I hadn't actually heard anything about this until a few days ago when my brother mentioned it. Now you should know, both MrGrizz and I love all things Zombie, so this was a must see. We watched it OnDemand (+100pts for less commercials) and it was awesome. I had to keep reminding myself it was a TV show not a movie. There were some parts that were a little drawn out, but I think that had more to do with the fact it was the pilot episode and they needed to explain things. I think the show is on Sunday nights on AMC - I'll be watching them after the fact whenever I have time. As of now (again, only first episode watched), I am saying this is a definite recommendation if you enjoy zombie folklore (and neat special effects!).

Due Date
In Theaters
This is the new movie with Robert Downey Jr and Zach Galifianakis. I am a fan of both of these actors, so it was a no brainer to go see this in the theater. I would say that if you liked the movie "The Hangover" you would enjoy the sense the humor in this movie. Did I laugh? Yes. Were there some uncomfortable awkward parts? Yes. Did I like it? Yes. It made me laugh. What more can I really ask for in a comedy. In truth, I could have been just as happy waiting to rent it instead of paying all the money to see it in the theater.

Antichrist
On DVD (or Netflix in our case)
I had no idea what this movie was at all. MrGrizz has had it in his Netflix instant queue for awhile and we have just never gotten around to watching it. Well I wish it would have stayed that way. Its a lesser known film, so here is a brief synopsis: A couple lose their young son when he falls out the window. The mother's grief consigns her to hospital, but her therapist husband brings her home intent on treating her depression himself. To confront her fears they go to stay at their remote cabin in the woods, "Eden". The movie is told in four chapters with a prologue and epilogue - a little odd at first, but got the hang of it. First, the good. The two actors, Willem Dafoe and Charlotte Gainsbourg, did a superb job. Also, visually speaking, it was a gorgeous film to watch. It would keep cutting to these artsy shots of the woods, or the surroundings. A lot of neat slow motion effects with the foliage were depicted as well. The bad. I had a hard time following the plot at some points. I understood what was happening overall, but towards the end, not why. I had to look up online the ending and what it meant - still no clarity on that one. It was a really dark film. Not so much BOO-scary, but a freaked-out spooky scary. The ugly. It is extremely graphic. There are a lot of scenes of intimacy between the husband and wife. When I say you see things, oh you see them. This part actually didn't bother me at all. But if sex bothers you, or watching other people pretend to have it does, this film is not for you. Towards the end of the film, there are some very graphic mutilation scenes. Again, it fits with the story line so its, for lack of a better term, interesting for that reason. I did have to close my eyes for one part in particular (don't want to give it away in case you decide to see it). I watched MrGrizz's reaction and was glad I didn't see it! This is a hard movie to recommend or not. Did I enjoy it? Truth, I don't know. Did it make me think? Yes. Was it interesting in a creepy way? Yes. Am I still talking about it? Yes. If you have Netflix, I would watch the first 20 mins (nothing too bad happens in the beginning), and you will get a sense if you would be up for watching the rest of it.

Get Him to the Greek
On DVD
After watching Antichrist, MrGrizz and I had our heads spinning and needed something to bring us back to reality. We had seen this movies in the theater when it first opened and he had just gotten it on BluRay. To give an accurate review, I will admit I slept through this viewing. It was late, I had work the next morning, and I was still thinking about the other movie. I saw bits and pieces while in and out of dream land. When I saw it in the theaters I remember really liking it. Again, the same Hangover, Due Date and Forgetting Sarah Marshall kind of humor. My favorite part was the opening. HYSTERICAL! Russel Brand plays the same musician character from Forgetting Sarah Marshall (LOVE that movie!). It was entertaining, funny for most parts, and a little on the long side. There are a few hysterical, pee your pants scenes; followed by some plot moving, somewhat boring, ones. Overall, rent it. If its your kind of humor, you will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment